Endorsement & Cobranding
Endorsement & Cobranding
UVA Health is committed to building a brand that mirrors the advanced level of care we provide, the high standards of our academic programs and our world-class research. We help build our brand by consistently presenting an image of excellence to the public.
Every communication with the public — every sign, letter, brochure, newsletter, flyer, email or website — contributes to the overall impression of UVA Health. How we communicate and demonstrate our relationships with other entities also reflects on the UVA Health brand and the following guidelines are designed to help you navigate these types of communications.
Endorsement of Products
As an academic institution, UVA Health must at all times remain objective and assure both the fact and the appearance of neutrality if we are to fulfill our mission of providing the best care possible for patients and in revealing and teaching truth in the scientific and educational arenas. Endorsement of companies, products, and individuals is prohibited in most situations as it creates a potential conflict of interest and erodes public trust in our ability to deliver on our mission.
While UVA Health recognizes that individuals and departments may have relationships outside of UVA, it requires that any product endorsement remain free of even the appearance of a UVA Health conflict of interest. An individual's endorsement of a commercial product, outside service, or other non-affiliated initiative cannot imply any UVA Health endorsement — by use of a faculty member's title, the UVA Health or entity logos (or other UVA logos) or letterhead, or any other reference to the University.
Because of the value and reputation of the UVA Health brand, co-branding is prohibited in most situations and in limited circumstances (e.g., partial ownership, joint venture with, or management of an organization) may be approved upon consultation with UVA Health Strategic Marketing and Communications, UVA Health Leadership, and/or UVA Leadership through development of a thorough co-branding strategy and agreement. Any partner use of the UVA Health or co-branded marks must be reviewed by Strategic Marketing and Communications with prior written consent as outlined in the terms of the agreement
UVA Health relies on the support of our generous donors and sponsors. To acknowledge that support, UVA Health and entity names (not logo) may be used on materials produced by the sponsor to acknowledge the donation of services, products, financial or research support to UVA Health or an office, unit, center, department, or division of UVA Health, providing that there is no endorsement, implied or otherwise inferred, in such acknowledgements.
The IRS defines sponsorship as "a payment for which there is no expectation that the sponsor will receive a 'substantial return benefit,' the income received by the sponsored organization is not subject to tax as unrelated business income."
In some situations, UVA Health may wish to be recognized as a sponsor of an event or organization. In this case, the acknowledging organization may use the UVA Health or entity names (not logo) to acknowledge sponsorship with UVA Health Strategic Marketing and Communications approval.
In certain situations, the UVA Health logo may be used in such acknowledgements (providing there is not endorsement), including:
- On sponsorship materials, programs, posters, t-shirts, etc. where many sponsor’s logos are shown.
UVA Health Branded Materials
- We do not include logos of other groups or companies on our UVA Health branded pieces.
- UVA Health may choose to be recognized as a sponsor of an event or organization, or the promoters might want UVA Health to be recognized as a sponsor. Recognition options include:
- UVA Health is the only sponsor the acknowledging organizations may use the UVA Health or entity names (not logo) to acknowledge sponsorship. Must have UVA Health Strategic Marketing and Communicationsapproval.
- If UVA Health is one of many sponsors the UVA Health logo or entity logo may be used on promotional materials like posters, t-shirts and web site promoting the event (but not on a website promoting general content could be seen as an endorsement).
- Requests for inclusion of a department, division, program, center or group’s name are on a case-by-case basis. Logo guidelines do not allow for customization of the logo by adding words beside, above or below so as to appear as a new logo.
- Preprinted brochures provided by a vendor that allow for customization are discouraged. We would rather create a UVA Health branded piece to meet your needs. In cases where it is clear that UVA Health is not the creator of the content, you may add the department name and contact information but no logo.